[Updated March 2023]
Do you yearn to venture to Phuket, but find yourself turned off by the thought of jostling amongst the crowds in hip and happening Patong, or being endless approached by vendors at the beach?
As Phuket draws larger hordes of tourists and becomes increasingly commercialised, it may indeed be hard to suss out secluded and serene spots that offer holidaymakers with a restful vacation…
…but, fret not, for we have discovered three idyllic spots just for you beach-lovers! Check them out in our post below:
1. Panwa Beach
Sitting along the east coast of Phuket, Panwa Beach, also known as Khao Kat Beach, is a perfect spot for travellers to slow down, relax and enjoy leisurely hours lounging by the sandy coast.
How to get to Panwa Beach
Traveling to Panwa Beach is relatively easy as it’s located just 10 – 20 minutes away (depending on your choice of transportation) from Phuket town. You can take a taxi or hire a private car or alternatively, you can take a local bus or songthaew, which is a shared taxi, from Phuket Town to Panwa Beach. Note: As mentioned earlier, Panwa Beach is also known as Khao Kad beach, so if it doesn’t seem to ring the bell with the taxi driver, tell them you want to go to Khao Kad beach. Once it’s sorted out, let’s check out some more detailed instructions for each method of transportation of getting there:
- Taxi/Private Car:
You can easily hire a taxi or private car from anywhere in Phuket to Panwa Beach. Just inform the driver of your destination, and they will take you directly to Panwa Beach. This is the most convenient option but may be more expensive than other methods.
- Local Bus/Songthaew:
If you prefer a more affordable option, you can take a local bus or songthaew from Phuket Town to Panwa Beach. The local bus departs from the Phuket Bus Terminal in Phuket Town and stops at several locations along the way. The songthaew is a shared taxi that can be hailed along the main road in Phuket Town. Both options will drop you off at Panwa Beach.
It’s important to note that the local bus and songthaew may not operate on a fixed schedule, and you may have to wait for other passengers before the vehicle departs. Additionally, they may not be as comfortable or as reliable as a private car or taxi.
Things to do in Panwa Beach
Although Panwa Beach may not be the perfect beach for swimming due to its seabed covered by dead coral, this hidden gem is fit for those who are looking for time away from the crowd, quality time, and relaxation. Here are some things you can do when visiting Panwa Beach:
- Relax on the beach: Panwa Beach is a quiet and peaceful beach, perfect for relaxing and enjoying the stunning views of the Andaman Sea. The beach is lined with palm trees and has soft sand and crystal clear water, making it an ideal spot to sunbathe, unwind, and have beach massages at bamboo huts.
- Try water sports: Panwa Beach is a great spot for water sports, with many vendors offering activities such as kayaking, canoeing, and jet skiing. You can also rent a long-tail boat to explore the nearby islands and enjoy snorkeling and swimming in the crystal clear waters.
- Visit the Phuket Aquarium: Located near Panwa Beach, the Phuket Aquarium is a great place to learn about the marine life of Thailand. You can see a wide variety of sea creatures, including sharks, turtles, and tropical fish.
- Explore nearby attractions: Panwa Beach is conveniently located near many popular attractions in Phuket, including the famous Big Buddha statue, Wat Chalong temple, and the Phuket Zoo.
- Enjoy local cuisine: There are many restaurants and food vendors in the area serving delicious local cuisine, including fresh seafood and Thai dishes. You can also find many cafes and bars along the beach, perfect for enjoying a refreshing drink while taking in the stunning views.
Overall, Panwa Beach is a great destination for those seeking a quieter and more laid-back experience in Phuket, with plenty of activities and attractions to enjoy.
Related articles: 23 Exciting Things to Do in Phuket
2. Natai Beach
Envision a white-sand beach in Phuket that stretches over ten kilometres, and is almost devoid of vendor stalls and beach umbrellas. You will also be hard-pressed to find large hotel chains, touristy shops or nightclubs and bars, and are free from the buzzing noises of jet skis and speedboats.
If you think that this sounds rather impossible, we would like to assure you that it definitely is not!
Make your way towards the north of Phuket. Venture past the bridge over to Phang Nga province, and in a matter of minutes, you will find yourself stepping upon the tranquil coasts of Natai. Located away from the center of the city, Natai Beach is indeed a quiet gem perfect for beach-lovers seeking an idyllic paradise!
How to get to Natai Beach
Natai Beach is actually located in Phang Nga province, not Phuket, but it is still relatively close to Phuket as it can be reached in less than an hour away and can be accessed by various means of transportation. Here are some options:
- Private Transfer: You can hire a private car or minivan with a driver to take you from Phuket to Natai Beach. This is a convenient and comfortable option, but it can be expensive.
- Taxi: You can also take a taxi from Phuket to Natai Beach, but be sure to negotiate the price before getting in the taxi.
- Bus: You can take a bus from the Phuket Bus Terminal to Kok Kloi, which is the nearest town to Natai Beach. From there, you can take a tuk-tuk or a motorcycle taxi to the beach. However, be aware that the bus schedule may not be very frequent and the journey can be long.
- Rental Car or Motorbike: You can also rent a car or motorbike and drive to Natai Beach yourself. This is a good option if you want the flexibility to explore the area at your own pace.
Overall, private transfer or taxi is the most convenient option to get to Natai Beach from Phuket, while bus or rental car/motorbike is the cheaper option.
Things to do in Natai Beach
Natai Beach is a beautiful and serene beach located in Phang Nga province, North of Phuket. It is a great destination for those seeking a quieter and more secluded beach experience. Here are some things you can do when visiting Natai Beach:
- Try water sports: Natai Beach is a great spot for swimming and snorkeling as the coral reefs around it are considered to be some of the most preserved and you can see a lively and colorful underwater world.
- Visit the nearby national parks: Natai Beach is located near several national parks, including Khao Lak-Lam Ru National Park and Similan Islands National Park. These parks offer beautiful scenery, hiking trails, and opportunities to see wildlife.
- Explore local markets and temples: There are many local markets and temples in the area, where you can experience the local culture and try some delicious Thai food.
- Stay at a luxury resort: Natai Beach is known for its luxurious resorts and villas, offering world-class facilities and services. You can indulge in spa treatments, fine dining, and other luxury amenities while enjoying the stunning beach views.
Overall, Natai Beach is a great destination for those seeking a quieter and more upscale beach experience, with plenty of activities and attractions to enjoy.
3. Nai Harn Beach
Ask locals in-the-know about the most beautiful beaches in Phuket, and they will undoubtedly point you northwards towards Nai Harn. Tucked away amidst grassy hills and tiny islands, Nai Harn Beach is a gorgeous gem boasting calm waters, pristine, fine sand and stunning sunsets.
It is a plus that the waters in Nai Harn are perfect for swimming during the months of November to April. However, between May to October, do exercise caution, for strong undertows may be present.
How to get to Nai Harn Beach
Nai Harn Beach is located on the southern tip of Phuket Island, and can be easily accessed by various means of transportation in just 30 minutes away from Phuket town. Here are some options for getting to Nai Harn Beach:
- Private Transfer: You can hire a private car or minivan with a driver to take you from your hotel or any other location on Phuket Island directly to Nai Harn Beach. This is a convenient and comfortable option, but it can be expensive.
- Taxi: You can also take a taxi from your hotel or any other location on Phuket Island to Nai Harn Beach. Be sure to negotiate the price before getting in the taxi, as many taxis in Phuket do not have meters.
- Motorbike or Rental Car: You can rent a motorbike or a car and drive to Nai Harn Beach. This is a good option if you want the flexibility to explore the area at your own pace. However, be aware that traffic in Phuket can be heavy and the roads can be narrow and winding, so be sure to drive carefully.
- Songthaew: A songthaew is a local shared taxi that follows a set route. You can take a songthaew from various locations on Phuket Island, including Phuket Town and the main tourist areas, to Nai Harn Beach. This is a cheaper option, but the service may be infrequent and the journey can be slow.
Overall, private transfer or taxi is the most convenient option to get to Nai Harn Beach, while motorbike or rental car is the more flexible option. Songthaew is the cheapest option, but may not be the most convenient or reliable.
Things to do in Nai Harn Beach
Nai Harn Beach is a popular destination on the southern tip of Phuket Island, known for its beautiful beach, clear water, and laid-back atmosphere. Here are some things you can do when visiting Nai Harn Beach:
- Relax on the Beach: Nai Harn Beach is a beautiful and secluded beach, perfect for sunbathing, swimming, or simply relaxing and enjoying beach massage. The beach is less crowded than some of the more popular beaches in Phuket, making it an ideal spot to unwind. Nearby beaches that you may also want to visit are Ao Sane, Ya Nui, and Rawai.
- Visit the Nai Harn Lake: Nai Harn Lake is a beautiful freshwater lake located near the beach. You can take a leisurely walk around the lake, enjoy the beautiful scenery, and spot some of the local wildlife, including turtles and water birds.
- Hike to the Nai Harn Viewpoint: The Nai Harn Viewpoint is a popular spot for tourists and locals, offering stunning panoramic views of the beach and surrounding area. You can hike up to the viewpoint from the beach or take a tuk-tuk or motorbike taxi.
- Enjoy Water Sports: Nai Harn Beach is a great spot for water sports, with many vendors offering activities such as kayaking, stand-up paddleboarding, and surfing. You can also rent a long-tail boat to explore the nearby islands and enjoy snorkeling and swimming in the crystal clear waters.
- Visit the nearby Temples: Nai Harn is surrounded by several beautiful temples, including Wat Nai Harn and Wat Sawang Arom. You can explore the temples and learn about the local culture and history.
- Shopping and trying local cuisine: There are many local restaurants and food stalls in the area, offering delicious Thai food and fresh seafood. You can try some of the local specialties and enjoy a unique dining experience.
- Yoga and Wellness: Nai Harn Beach is also a popular spot for yoga and wellness activities, with many yoga studios and wellness centers in the area offering a variety of classes and workshops.
Overall, Nai Harn Beach is a great destination for those seeking a quieter and more laid-back beach experience, with plenty of activities and attractions to enjoy.
In search of accommodation near these beach paradise spots? Check out our selection of gorgeous villas!